Chemex Classic | 8 Cup
Undoubtedly one of the most recognizable and elegant coffee makers available. The Chemex was designed in 1941 and has been making delicious coffee ever since. Its non-porous, heat-resistant glass construction, combined with proprietary, scientifically designed filters, produces coffee with clarity and complexity.
- 40oz (1182ml) capacity
- Easy to clean - just remove filter and rinse through
- Heat-resistant glass made in Germany
- Polished wood collar with leather tie made in the USA
- Requires Chemex filters
Since the Chemex is made out of glass, you can see the coffee as it brews. As it is a pour over method, you can also customize your particular brew method very easily.
It comes with a polished wood collar and leather tie: the collar serving as an insulated handle around the middle of the coffeemaker.
The Chemex is so cool that it has a permanent display in the Museum of Modern Art in New York, and is how James Bond makes his coffee. What other endorsements do you need?
This is Chemex's method, but it certainly isn’t the only one, so have a look online and play around to find what you like best.
- Place a filter in the top of the Chemex
- Pour hot/boiling water through until all of the filter is saturated.
- Pour the water out of the Chemex, via the channel, ensuring that the filter remains in place
- Grind and add coffee into the filter
- Start timer and pour enough water (195-205º) to saturate the coffee
- Swirl or stir coffee to fully saturate and let bloom for 45 seconds
- Add rest of water pouring in a clockwise, circular motion, without pouring to the very edge or overfilling the filter
- Once draw down is complete, remove the filter and the coffee is ready to serve!